Saturday, September 27, 2008

And we're done











It is official, I received the letter in the mail that says I am permanently but only partially disabled (3% to be exact).

Okay, so let me back up for those of you who haven't been following the drama. 15 months ago to the day I separated my shoulder playing kick ball (yes, kick ball, with 4th graders). Rounding 3rd base gravity got the better of me and 190 pounds plummeted to the earth with only my left shoulder to break the fall. 

For whatever reason my  body simply didn't like the hardware that they attempted to use. The first attempt with two buttons and fiber wire failed when one of the buttons cracked the bone. The second attempt was a screw (see picture). Well, 10 days after surgery I went in for a recheck and my bone had started to spit the screw out (four threads were now out of the bone). My surgeon, who is one of the best orthopedists in the country, could do nothing more than shake his head. He had never seen either of these occurrences in any one else before. 

So after two surgeries and 2 hardware removals, plus a failed ligament graft and having about an inch of my clavicle removed I am back to doing everything that I did before the injury, which in itself is amazing. No one was sure I would have normal use of my shoulder again. 


No comments:

Free Web Counter
Apple Computers