Sunday, January 4, 2009

Parents and Technology

Okay, so parents seriously should not be allowed to use modern technology if they cannot figure out how to use it. 

Tonight was the crowning glory of the technology experiences with my mother. Recently I upgraded to the iPhone which left me with a iPod Touch that needed a home. When I mentioned this to my mom she jumped on it. So I gave her my iPod Touch. 

My mother, who in general, is pretty computer savvy totally lost it with this new toy. I take partial responsibility for this as I was suppose to bring it home over Thanksgiving to give her a crash course and forgot it so the in person, crash course didn't happen. 

So, after overnighting it to Mom and Pam the "Parents and Technology" games began. After several phone calls and trouble shooting over the phone the crowing event happened this evening. 

I called my mom tonight to rag on her for the lack of baby pictures of me (seriously infant to 10 years old in 15 pics! Come on, I was an only child for 6 years!) and she was like "Oh I have a question about the iPod."

"Last Friday I was at the dentist and wanted to listen to Harry Potter. I put the headphones on but still couldn't hear it. I tried to turn in up but I couldn't figure out how. I went into the settings, and did this and did that and I couldn't figure it out. It really pissed me off" 

I asked her to get the iPod and hold it in her hands and turn it a quarter turn to the right so that the skinny side was facing her. And asked her to locate the skinny silver button that is about and inch long. Viola! There is your volume button. 

My mom couldn't believe it, she thought it was a place to put in a memory card or something. At this point I couldn't take it anymore and dissolved in fits of laughter. 

Seriously, parents and technology.

No comments:

Free Web Counter
Apple Computers