Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If Martha Stewart and McGyver Had a Kid...

It would look a lot like me. Wait, it is me! 

Who else do you know who can fix just about anything with a Leatherman (a.k.a. multi-tool)? 

Who can entertain the most bored of kids with some cornstarch and water?

Who makes 95% of all gifts? 

Who can walk someone half way across the country through the proper way to hang shelving on a concrete wall? 

Who takes apart their windows, strips them completely of 80 some years worth of paint AND sews the curtains to hang over the newly refinished wood work? That would be me.

My latest triumph, fixing a very expensive laser printer that everyone else had given up on. It took me the better part of 5 hours over a couple of days, a half a bottle of dish soap, a whole lot of screws and of course my trusted friend, the Leatherman. 

The problem: no one could get the toner cartridge replaced, in doing so the entire toner mechanism jammed and wouldn't move. There was no way to get the toner cartridge out, all hope seemed lost... until I got there. 

Armed with only my Leatherman (and not a clue about printer repair) I disassembled a few major components of the printer, all the electrical mainly along with several pieces of plastic that required intricate hand a wrist movements to dislodge but to no avail but next time I knew exactly what I had to do. Now, I just had to remember it until the next time I was in. 

Today, again armed only with my Leatherman and a bit of knowledge gleaned from my previous experience I skillfully disassembled everything that I did last time. Called the assistant over to remove a a few key screws while I prevented the toner drum from slipping, thanked the assistant and TAH DA! out popped the black toner that was causing all the problems. 

Skillfully reassembling the printer (with only one screw and a small piece remaining homeless) and loading not one, but two colors of toner, calling for someone to print something (anything!), a few tense seconds and WALLA! the printer worked. 

I am the heroin of the office (not to mention up to my mid fore arms in toner). 

Did you know that...
Printer toner is magnitized (who knew)
Dawn dish soap works well to remove toner from skin 
Digging around in a laser printer necessitates lots of Dawn dish soap 
That I am actually the love child of Martha Stewart and McGyver. 

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I want pictures of the stripped windows and the new curtains Miss MacGyver Stewart!

Free Web Counter
Apple Computers