Monday, October 6, 2008

Reading to my favorite almost 7 year old.

Every Sunday night I get to spend time with my favorite five year old and almost seven year old. During our play dates we read a lot of books. Well last night the reading included a book on how girls and boys are different and yes, where babies come from (It's Not the Stork, which for the record, AMAZING book). 

I arrived innocently at 6:30 like I always do and my favorite almost seven year old was sitting in the living room reading a book. I check in with mom and got a few tickles in on my favorite five year old. As mom left I walked into the living room and my favorite almost seven year old asked if I would read with her. 

I said sure. She had specific paragraphs that she wanted me to read. We were doing well, I named all the organs and explained the different functions of each organ (try explaining vas deferen tubes to an almost seven  year old).

We were going along swimmingly (no pun intended) until we got to the picture of a man and a woman under the covers in bed (the woman was on top no less). And she asked what they were doing. I started with the very generic, "they are making love," or "having sex." That was followed with "what does that mean?" I have to admit, without missing a beat I launched into a very detailed, age appropriate and short version of just what was happening under those covers. (I'm assuming you are all familiar with the process, if not, drop me a line and I can fill you in.)

More impressive than the skillful answering of her questions, what the fact that I did not blush, I did not stumble AND I satisfied her curiosity. 

I managed vas deferens but seriously, can someone please explain to me the whole foreskin and circumcision debate?

No comments:

Free Web Counter
Apple Computers